Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) is a health insurance marketplace developed for small businesses with 50 or fewer full time equivalent employees. For the purposes of the ACA, a full time employee is one who works an average of 30 hours per week based on a month of work.
SHOP grants you the opportunity to offer your employees quality health insurance options from private insurance companies while simplifying the process. Just a reminder, small businesses are not required to offer insurance to their employees; however, many small businesses are now choosing to offer coverage because of the many benefits it delivers to their business and employees.
Small business owners know that the ability to offer employees quality health insurance is a competitive advantage in the labor market.
How providing insurance through SHOP will benefit your business:
- Quality Insurance – private companies compete for your business, finally providing small business with a competitive edge in the labor market
- Employee Retention – gives you clout to recruit and maintain the highest level of talent
- Increase Productivity – a healthy workforce has been proven to promote employee presence and increase productivity
- Financial Control – full ability to select the level of coverage you want to offer for your employees, as well as the percentage of monthly premiums your business can afford to pay
- Tax Incentives – the Small Business Tax Credit is available to qualifying small businesses and non-profits that utilize SHOP
- Easy Electronic Billing
How providing insurance through SHOP will benefit your employees:
- Local support to explain plan choices and assist with enrollment
- Multilingual Service Center
- Online enrollment
For more information about Missouri’s health insurance marketplace, please visit Cover Missouri.