Which Payroll Records Do I Need?

When shopping for insurance, broker and insurance companies you approach will need payroll records to confirm all employees’ eligibility. Usually the DE9C form (quarterly wage report) is used. Temporary employees and independent contractors do not count, nor do employees who are outside of the United States unless they are on your U.S. payroll. Smaller businesses—for example, a business with just two partners—need to provide federal W-4 or other payroll records. If you have an employee not listed on the quarterly statement, you may also need current payroll information.